Created in 2008 with the aim of actively contributing to the coordination of research in legal sciences on the Aix-Marseille site, the "Rights, Powers and Societies" Research Federation (FED 4280) is placed under the responsibility of the Dean of the Faculty of Law and Political Science, assisted by the assessor in charge of FED 4280.
Under the supervision ofAix-Marseille University, it currently includes 3 Joint Research Units (UMR), 9 Research Units (UR), as well as theDoctoral School "Legal and Political Sciences" (ED 67). Its composition is one of the ways in which it is open to disciplines other than law.
A word from the Director
Alongside the Doctoral School 67, 12 research units (2 UMR and 10 UR) make up the Research Federation:
- International, Comparative and European Law (DICE), UMR 7318
- Bio-cultural Anthropology, Law, Ethics and Health (ADES), UMR 7268 in a sector shared with "Health
- Centre for Economic Law (CDE), UR 4224
- Centre for Social Law (CDS), UR 901
- Centre for Fiscal and Financial Studies (CEFF), UR 891
- Centre for Studies and Research on the History of Political Ideas and Institutions (CERHIIP), UR 2186
- Centre for Administrative Research (CRA), UR 893
- Research and Study Group on Real Estate, Development, Urban Planning and Construction Law (GREDIAUC), UR 3786
- Laboratory of Private Law and Criminal Sciences (LDPSC), UR 4690
- Interdisciplinary Laboratory of Media Law and Social Change (LID2MS), UR 4328
- Laboratory of Legal Theory (LTD), UR 892
- Mediterranean Center of Sociology, Political Science and History (MESOPOLHIS), UMR 7064
- Doctoral School "Legal and Political Sciences" (ED 67)
Since its creation, the Federation has endeavoured to structure and support the research units and their teams in their activities and projects, while emphasizing support for the development of their scientific productions.
Structuring research in law :
- by taking part in the statutory rapprochement between legal research units,
- by opening up more widely to interdisciplinarity, particularly by welcoming new teams,
- Finally, and more broadly, by supporting collaborative projects around major unifying research themes.
To support the member units :
- by ensuring the interface within AMU and with partners and the dissemination of information on procedures, schedules and mechanisms relating to research activity,
- by ensuring a targeted scientific watch to inform them about tools, particularly financial tools, to support individual and/or collective research,
- by offering them assistance in putting together applications to support their scientific activity,
- by facilitating their inter-laboratory or interdisciplinary projects through technical support or coordination.
To enhance the value of scientific production :
- by assisting the Units in their search for funding and in the preparation of applications,
- by offering a privileged framework for individual or collective publications with the collection "Droits, pouvoirs et sociétés" published by the Presses Universitaires d'Aix-Marseille.
The research is structured around 5 major federating themes or Axes, the content of which is defined in synergy with the member research units of the FED and evolves to meet the contingencies of a dynamic research and by nature evolving:
- Axis 1: Justice
Practical and theoretical studies on the judicial institution and on the modes of realization of justice in the different branches (constitutional, penal, civil, social...).
- Axis 2: Fundamental rights
Traditional axis of legal research in Aix-en-Provence.
- Axis 3: Law, crises and economic and social regulations
Study of the evolution of regulations and intervention mechanisms on societal issues, especially in response to crisis situations.
- Axis 4: Legal orders, identities and integration
Comparative constitutional law, international and European law, foreign law, Mediterranean law and spaces, globalization.
- Axis 5: Energy, environment and sustainable development
An extension of the "Alternative Energies" area, this area has evolved in order to better meet the requirements of interdisciplinarity and the creation of an "Environment" research cluster within Aix-Marseille University
- Axis 1: Justice
EDF Science Policy
The FED has a policy of supporting, coordinating, leading and labelling scientific projects (symposia and publications) and mobilises its human and financial resources for this purpose. It thus encourages the emergence of projects that fall within its priority federative research areas, promotes multidisciplinarity and the strengthening of scientific collaboration between laboratories, and contributes to facilitating the synergy of the scientific competences of its units and beyond for a greater influence of research in law and political science.
The components of this policy are :
- A targeted scientific watch and support for the Units in their projects
The monitoring service is divided into two parts (scientific and financial) and provides the Units and researchers with an exhaustive and up-to-date list of research activities (conferences, study days, calls for papers, etc.) and funding available to support the individual or collective research projects in law and political science of its Units (calls for projects, grants, contracts, prizes, etc.). It also offers personalized assistance in the search for funding, partners or the setting up of projects. For collaborative and transversal projects involving various research teams, the Federation can coordinate them in accordance with its objectives.
- Support for conferences and publishing: annual campaigns
Initiated in 2014 by the FED, annual campaigns to support the research activity of its Units (events and publishing) are organized in order to promote the development of inter-laboratory and interdisciplinary cooperation. Since 2019, a scheme merged between the Faculty of Law and the Federation and managed by the FED, allows to further strengthen the financial support given to the organization of colloquia and to the valorization of collective and individual scientific activity through support for publication in the eponymous collection of the FED.
This project-based funding has helped to support some fifty events and twenty books, reflecting the diversity and richness of the research as well as its excellence.
- Support for the promotion of research: the DPS collection at PUAM
Because the promotion of research in law and political science is essential and is mainly achieved through individual or collective publications, the Federation is developing a strong policy. In 2013, it launched its own eponymous collection at the Presses Universitaires d'Aix-Marseille (PUAM).
This collection is a privileged framework for works that receive publishing aid within the framework of the FED's annual campaigns. More generally, it is intended to collect scientific publications of different disciplinary sensibilities, at the heart of legal and political sciences but also beyond, resulting from collective inter-laboratory work or providing a cross-disciplinary scientific perspective on major, emerging or innovative societal issues.
It includes proceedings of conferences (Journées des doctorants, Assises de l'Ecole doctorale des juristes méditerranéens, etc.), individual or collective works and theses.
The 19 books published to date - including the last one « Le droit et l'innovation sociale » (directed by Jean-Philippe AGRESTI and Éric GASPARINI) - can be consulted and ordered from the PUAM website.
- Supporting the faculty's research policy
The FED is a research player and participates in the coordination and support of various actions and events, particularly those that are part of the Faculty of Law and Political Science's national and international partnerships and networks.
In addition to the administrative coordination of procedures and support schemes for research projects involving a component classification, the FED offers support:
- since 2018, the Doctoral Students' Days,
These days in support of young research in law, are jointly organized by the Faculty and the Doctoral School "Legal and Political Science" (ED 67) with the organizational and financial support of the FED 4280.
May 4, 2022 - Day "Lawyers and reforms"
June 18, 2021 - Day "Law and Social Innovation"
June 7, 2019 - Day " Rethinking democracy and its forms of expression ".
June 22, 2018 - Day " The mutations of justice".
- since 2017, annual events included in the partnership formalized by a 2018 agreement between the FDSP and its partners in the judicial world, renewed in 2022: the Faculty at the Palace (news of major reforms), the Night of the Law (October 4 each year) and the Entretiens Portalis (annual symposium)
June 9, 2022 - "The Office of the Judge" conference
June 13, 2019 - " Law and the Environment " conference
June 1, 2018 - " Law and the Digital Age " conference
May 19, 2017 - " The judicial judge facing the control of proportionality " conference
- at the École doctorale des juristes méditerranéens (EDJM)
The FED deploys here its international activity by ensuring since 2018 and the election of the Dean as scientific head of the EDJM, the administrative management and coordination of this Euro-Mediterranean doctoral network bringing together the Faculties of Law of 14 universities around the Mediterranean, including the Faculty of Law and Political Science of Aix-Marseille where this network was born in 2008.
As such, it coordinates the organization of annual meetings hosted in turn by the member universities, organizes and pilots the Aix editions of these meetings and participates in promoting doctoral mobility, particularly incoming to the FDSP, by ensuring the interface between doctoral students, research units and AMU services.
Thus, after 2013, the Faculty of Law and Political Science of Aix-Marseille hosted the 10th edition of the EDJM in 2018: 19 university delegations from both sides of the Mediterranean, including those of the Middle East Doctoral School of Law (EDDMO), met for three days of work, including doctoral workshops, a methodology conference and a scientific colloquium on the theme of " Law and Civilization in the Mediterranean: Towards a Common Legal Culture?
- to more prospective events or meetings
The Federation can offer its assistance and support to the organization of meetings, time for exchange and reflection such as the Assises de la recherche en droit in 2019 with great guest speakers.
- A targeted scientific watch and support for the Units in their projects
Here you will find a selection of scientific events in law and political science (colloquia, study days, seminars, etc.) organised in France and abroad, based on a targeted scientific watch that is updated as the event progresses. To find out about events taking place at the Faculty of Law and Political Science of Aix-Marseille, consult the "research" section.
You will also find a selective list ofcalls for contributions (AAC ) to participate in events or to produce a publication.
Do not hesitate to consult these sections regularly.
Calls for Contributions (CFC)
If you are a teacher-researcher, researcher or doctoral student in law or political science and you are looking for funding for an individual or collective research project, do not hesitate to consult the selection below. It lists a wide range of project-based funding (AAP) and other funding (grants, doctoral contracts, publication grants, thesis prizes, etc.) from research organizations and groups, learned societies, journals and specialized websites.
Calls for projects (CFP)
Funding a research project
Jean-Baptiste PERRIER, Dean of the Faculty of Law and Political Science of Aix-Marseille
Assisted by Professor Xavier MAGNON, Assessor in charge of FED 4280
Where to find us?
The Research Federation "Rights, Powers and Societies" (FED 4280) is located at the Faculty of Law and Political Science of Aix-Marseille, on the Aix Schuman campus, on the 3rd floor of the Cassin Building.